Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Childhood Memory

"When we pass from southern to Central Europe we still meet with the great god of the oak and the thunder among the barbarous Aryans who dwelt in the vast primaeval forests."

I have been having some issues with my computer but finally have them all ironed out.  Sorry for the late post but here is my early childhood memory. I was about four years old and had been playing out in the front year of our house with my little brother.  It was a hot summers day and my family was getting ready to move to a new town.  As my mother and father were inside packing in preparation for the big move, my little brother and I chased each other around trying to push each other.  My brother and I had a love-hate relationship.  We were best buds growing up but had the typical sibling arguments and fights.  Anyway I remember the pushing game quickly turned into a squabble and as he pushed me around harder I returned the favor!! He then proceed to get really peeved and chased me up the front steps to our house.  I turned around to slam the door in his face to block his raging pursuit.  The front door to our house had four long glass panes that were vertically inset in the wooden door.  As I tried to slam to door shut, my little brother tried to shove the door open to get at me.  We both began to pushed on the glass and somehow I was able to slam the door shut on him, but as I did so one of the glass panes shattered and my little four year old hand when right through the broken glass. I remember looking in horror as blood began to run down my hand and onto the green shag carpet. (yes this was the age of green shag and yellow toilets!) I remember looking up at my little brother and seeing him ball.  I think I was in to much shock to cry. My mom heard the commotion and came running to see what was going on. She quickly scooped me up and took me to the bathroom to bandage my wound.  Tears began to run down my checks, I could hear my dad out in the living room spanking my brother.  My parents very much believed in corporal punishment and my little brother was graced with this idea that day.  I have to say that I remember getting a little satisfaction knowing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment